Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Under a Nice Blanket of Clouds

An astronomer's nemasis:
I'm somewhere underneath these clouds
But the great thing is that I'm clear-sky limited not telescope time limited.  The "professionals" have nothing on me!

Clear skies are on the way, however.  Tomorrow night is suppose to be clear and windy.  Ah well, at least it's been an unusually warm winter.

Hopefully at that time I'll be able to try out my flat field technique and get images of some binary stars so I can measure my pixel scale.  If the photometry is good enough (which I expect it will be) I'll also be imaging the Jupiter system.

Here's how it's supposed to look 24h from now:

The Jupiter system on 20 Feb 2014 at 03:26 UTC
So it looks like more Callisto stuff for sure.  Europa and Ganymede might be too close for good photometric separation.  Io is transiting and will therefore be invisible.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment