Saturday, January 1, 2022

Meteor Stats

For all of this data, I'm just parsing the already-existing GMN monthly summaries and just grabbing the info relevant to my stations and packing it up into histograms.

First is line-of-site distance.  For this I compute the great-circle distance between my latitude and longitude, and the center of the meteor path as projected onto the surface of the earth.  I also compute the height of the center of the path.  Using those two numbers, I can compute the line-of-site distance.

In my case, I have six cameras (USL00X, USL00Y, USL00Z, USL010, USL011, and USL012.  The distribution of LOS distances is shown below:


Each camera is color coded.  Light blue = 00X, orange = 00Y, yellow = 00Z, dark blue = 010, red = 011, black = 012.  In this case, the x-axis is the LOS distance in km, and the y-axis shows the number of meteors for a particular camera.

Next is Meteor trail length (km):


Meteor trail duration (in seconds):


Number of stations making a positive ID:


Magnitude:


... and finally a plot that shows the number of meteors detected for every hour of every day of the month of Dec 2021.  The x-axis is the day number of the month, and the y-axis is the hour of the day.  The lighter the color, the more meteors detected that hour:



Here they all are on one image:




No comments:

Post a Comment