Monday, March 2, 2015

Mimas and Enceladus

A suggestion was made that I take a look at some of the Saturn moon orbital crystals so I did just that, but got a little distracted by my first one taking orbit data of Mimas and Enceladus (the two large inner moons of Saturn).  This is what I came up with:


but then I simply rotated the image by 10 degress and saw an interesting motion effect totally being created by my brain.  So I made a little movie taking the original image and rotating it through 180 degrees at 10 degree intervals.  Doing this, I got this:


Please note that the gif movie above is NOT a representation of the motions of these moons along their orbits around Saturn, but rather is a kind of optical illusion.  Rather, consider this an alternative perspective on how the moons are connected in space and time.

Hope you enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. I like the illusion of depth and the movement effect on top of that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete