Monday, June 2, 2014

Distance To The Moon

Help me measure the distance to the Moon!

On the evening of 10 June 2014, the Moon will appear approximately five degrees away from the planet Saturn.  At that time, I would like to get some help measuring the distance to the Moon.  What I need are pictures of the Moon and Saturn taken at approximately the same time from as many different locations as possible.

  • Set your camera up on a tripod for best image quality.
  • Make sure that the picture you take has both the Moon and Saturn in it, and that the focus is as good as you can make it.
  • Email me the picture along with the time you took it (+/- 5 minutes) and your location (latitude and longitude, +/- 20 miles).

It'd be best if all images could be taken at appoximately the same time.  Let's make this time 04:00 UTC (which would actually make it early morning 11 June in England), which is 21:00 PDT, 22:00 MDT, 23:00 CDT, and 00:00 EDT for the United States.

I did some test images with my little digital camera just set on 'Auto' and got some decent data looking at the Moon and Venus, and the Moon and Jupiter:

Figure 1: Moon and Venus

Figure 2: Moon and Jupiter
Email me your data (pictures) at cosmiclettuce AT yahoo DOT com.

No comments:

Post a Comment