Saturday, June 10, 2017

Continuing to Contemplate Galilean Moon Motion

I decided to see if there are any explanations for what the higher-order derivatives (3rd, 4th, 5th) of position actually feels like, and I didn't get much of an answer.  However, they all have names.  The best source of info on this subject that I was able to find is this article:

What is Derivatives Of Displacement?

So yes, the 3rd derivative is called 'Jerk', which I call 'Bump' -- it's a change in acceleration.  The 4th derivative is 'Jounce' (the change in the 'Jerk') and 5th derivative is called 'Crackle' (the change in the 'Jounce'), which to me don't relay any kind of physical sensation.

In the case of the motions of Jupiter's Galilean moons, I can now look at the past seven days of motion:











No comments:

Post a Comment