Monday, April 21, 2014

More great data and a surprise

I had two nice sessions in the past week -- last 15 April 2014 and yesterday evening 21 April 2014.  Here's a pic from last night:

Figure 1: The Jupiter system 03:25 UTC 21 April 2014
I have a LOT to talk about, but I've been otherwise occupied so a detailed update will continue to have to wait.

The surprise is that I'm very close to deciding that the Saturn system will be my next target.  My expectations were that I might be able to see Titan, but what I actually was able to see blew me away.  Take a look:


Figure 2: Saturn 05:39 UTC 21 April 2014
Iapetus!

Figure 3: The Saturn system 05:39 UTC 21 April 2014
Titan, Rhea, Tethys, and Dione:

Figure 4: The Saturn system
So -- should I start working with the Saturn system?  I probably will.  I need to look carefully at the signal to noise and also see if I can increase the camera exposure time by a little bit to help.

But, at this point it looks like I'll probably start looking at Saturn.  It's in a perfect place in the sky that I'll be able to watch it for the next several months.

More details on Jupiter a little later -- promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment